At Chelsea and Fulham Dentist we have been able to help many of our patients through these hot summer months by helping them get rid of the embarrassment of sweat patches under their arms, sweaty palms in meetings and the unpleasant drip of sweat from the brow. If you’re feeling uncomfortable in the heat, we are here to help you.
Excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis, can be triggered by different things including:
- Hot or cold temperatures
- Alcohol, tea, coffee, smoking, hot or spicy food
- Stress, anxiety, strong emotions.
How is hyperhidrosis diagnosed?
If there is excessive sweating of at least 6 months duration with at least two of the following characteristics then primary Hyperhydrosis is present and this can be treated with Botox.
Bilateral and relatively symmetrical sweating
- Impairs daily activity
- At least one episode per week
- Onset before the age of 25 years
- Positive family history
- Cessation of sweating during sleep
What can be done:
BOTOX® has proven to be an effective hyperhidrosis treatment. When injected into the underarm area, BOTOX® helps to control the excessive sweating.
How does it work?
A small volume of BOTOX® solution is injected through a very fine needle into the underarm area. BOTOX® works by temporarily blocking the chemical signals from the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands. When these glands no longer receive the chemical signals, the excessive underarm sweating stops. The procedure takes about 5-10 minutes, is relatively painless, and the effects of the treatment have been reported to last 6-9 months (Results vary from person to person and eventually will wear off).
Within 1-2 weeks of the initial treatment there will be significant reduction in underarm sweating. We will always invite you back to the practice after 2 weeks to ensure you are happy with the results and provide you with any top-up treatment if needed.
What areas can be treated?
- head, neck and face
How much does it cost?
The cost of treatments depend on the area to be treated and the level of hyperhidrosis. Prices start from £250 but we welcome you to come and see our highly experienced practitioner Dr Alexandra Day for a free initial consultation.
Pre Treatment Instructions:
- Shave underarms 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Abstain from use of over-the-counter deodorants or antiperspirants for 24 hours.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to the procedure.
- Avoid taking Aspirin or Ibuprofen 24 hours prior to the procedure (please check with your Primary Care Physician if you take either medication on a daily basis for an existing condition)
Post Treatment Instructions:
- No deodorant for 12 hours
- No heavy exercise for 24 hours
- After Botox injections, gently clean and dry your underarm using a mild soap/cleanser.
- You may begin to experience results within 7 days, full effectiveness is achieved at 14 days.
- Until the maximum effectiveness of the BOTOX® injection is achieved you can continue to use over the counter antiperspirants.
Click here to read the research and find more information on hyperhidrosis:
If you would like to book a consultation, call our reception team on 0203 0801000, or book online here. Enjoy this summer, stay cool, comfortable and keep on smiling – we can help you with that too!